STEP 1 Form a team
To create a section you first need a group of enthusiastic people who wish to work in ESN, offering services and taking care of international students at your university.
A good way to find interested people is by engaging your friends, placing an advertisement in the university newspaper or distributing flyers.
Another source of contacts is the administration of your university, especially the International Relations Office and Student Union. They know the names of former exchange students and can help you with recruiting members.
After gathering members for the new section, the next task would be to register the organisation legally in your country.
STEP 2 Cooperation with your university
It is much more easier to work as a section in ESN, when you have the support from your International Relations Office of the university.
Usually, they are willing to put you in contact with visiting international students, help you with financing, getting an office, and finding a place to host the activities.
STEP 3 Principles of ESN
We would expect that the sections joining the ESN work in accordance with our official principles. Please have a look at these pages now and make sure, that you can accept the core of ESN.
Enrichment of society through international students
ESN is the key volunteer student organisation in international higher education in Europe. We provide opportunities for cultural understanding and self-development under the principle of SHS - Students Helping Students.
The values of Erasmus Student Network that all members stand and work for are:
- unity in diversity, diversity in the unity
- We all have different backgrounds, but share one common aim and goal.
- students helping students
- We passionately commit ourselves to volunteering for the benefits of others.
- fun in friendship and respect
- We enjoy relations based on respect.
- international dimension of the life
- We are open-minded, mobile, like to discover and explore, to co-operate and to interact to break borders.
- love for Europe as an area of peace and cultural exchange
- We live and benefit from the cultural richness of Europe to the utmost.
- openness with tolerance
- We understand and accept others and learn from them.
- cooperation in the integration
- We share an holistic view towards internationality.
STEP 4 Help and support from your National Board
To help you with creating your section you can contact the National Board of ESN Latvia (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will give you any needed advice, put you in contact with already existing sections and help you to formally become a candiate section of ESN.
All new sections in a Latvia have to be approved at the National Platform, which is the meeting of all sections on the national level. This is also a reason for contacting us in advance!
STEP 5 Application
To apply for the membership in ESN you should fill in the application form that you can find below. Send it jointly with your statutes to our National Representative (email@example.com).
After your successful application and approval we will welcome you in ESN with all necessary information and documents!